Launch your TESOL career with Jumpstart!
The Jumpstart option allows you to accelerate your TESOL education by completing ELT 5530 (Foundations of English Language Teaching) in one week (9:00am-3pm, Monday-Friday + the following Monday). By completing Jumpstart!, you earn 3 university credits and complete the pre-requisite for all other TESOL courses leading to the TESOL Certificate and/or other S-TESL programs, such as the ELL Endorsement. Courses can fill up fast, so please contact us today for advising and pre-register to secure your place!
Jumpstart ELT 5530 has year-round start dates. After completing this three credit class, you may complete the remaining 9 credits for the TESOL certificate through Evening, Online, and/or Summer Intensive classes. The credits earned may also be applied to the ELL Endorsement and/or used as graduate credit in select programs at Seattle Pacific University.
Is Intensive Right for Me?
When considering an Intensive format, thinking about the following statements may help you determine if this format suits you:
- in good mental and physical health.
- able to work effectively in group situations.
- able to meet or communicate with classmates after class hours as needed.
- able to attend evening observations as required.
- able to commit to the full (one week, two week, or four week) schedule, which requires being in class from 9:00 am -3:00pm Monday-Friday.
- able to remain calm under pressure and handle stressful situations in a professional manner.
- able to handle a fast-paced environment.
- good organizational skills (including time management).
- the support of my family and/or friends.
- basic computer skills (word processing, email, and internet) and daily access to a computer and printer for writing and printing assignments (computers/printers not available at S-TESL).
- daily access to telephone, internet, and email as needed to communicate with the school, instructor and classmates.
I understand that…
- I cannot be working, or taking any other classes, during the time I intend to study in an intensive class.
- there are from three to six hours of required homework each day (including weekends).
- there are many working lunches which require me to come to class prepared for the day and that require me to stay on-site during lunch.
- there is weekend homework, some of which may require group-work.
- there are pre-class assignments due the first day of intensive classes. I understand that I must be able to purchase my textbooks and course packets (as needed) at S-TESL prior to class. In addition, the one and two week intensives may require homework the weekend class.