Preparing for the one-week intensive
When considering any intensive course, be sure to read “Is a One-Week Intensive Right for Me?” (below) to help you determine if this format suits you.
- One-Week Intensive courses may be combined with other online and/or evening courses towards TESOL certificates and/or the Washington State ELL Endorsement.
- Credits earned may be protected for graduate status.
- Each One-Week Intensive has a preferred registration deadline of two weeks before the class begins, and a hard deadline of one week before the class begins.
All students, including continuing students, must be advised before registering for any intensive class. Please contact the S-TESL office for information.
One-Week Summer Intensive Schedule
- ELT 5530 is a prerequisite for some One-Week Intensive classes.
- One-Week Intensives generally have homework due the first day of class as well as the weekend after class. Please schedule your time accordingly.
- Classes meets Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
- Expect 3 – 6 hours of homework daily.
- Tuition information can be found on the Tuition & Fees page.
June 26 – 30
ELT 5532 Grammar in ELT (3 credits)
July 10 -14
ELT 5536 Cultural Issues in ELT (3 credits)
August 7 – 11
ELT 5542 Assessment of English Language Students (3 cr)
August 21 – 25
ELT 5538 Young Learners in ELT (3 credits)
Is a One-Week Intensive Right for Me?
When considering an intensive format, thinking about the following statements may help you determine if this format suits you:
- in good mental and physical health.
- able to work effectively in group situations.
- able to meet or communicate with classmates after class hours as needed.
- able to attend evening observations as required.
- able to commit to the full one or two week schedule, which requires being in class from 9:00 am-3:00pm, Monday-Friday
- able to remain calm under pressure and handle stressful situations in a professional manner.
- able to handle a fast-paced environment.
- good organizational skills (including time management).
- the support of my family and/or friends.
- basic computer skills (word processing, email, and internet) and daily access to a computer and printer for writing and printing assignments. (computers/printers not available at S-TESL)
- daily access to telephone, internet, and email as needed to communicate with the school, instructor and classmates.
I understand that…
- I cannot be working, or taking any other classes, during the time I intend to study in an intensive class
- there are from three to six hours of required homework each day (including weekends).
- there are many working lunches which require me to come to class prepared for the day and that require me to stay on-site during lunch.
- there is weekend homework, some of which may require group-work.
- there are pre-class assignments due the first day of intensive classes. I understand that I must be able to purchase my textbooks and course packets (as needed) at S-TESL prior to class. In addition, there may be required homework the weekend after class.
To discuss the intensive format in more detail, please contact the school at (206) 781-8607 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In-person advising and/or class observations are available during the day.