The 4-Week Intensive works well for people who can complete the TESOL Certificate program in one month of full-time study. With the exception of our Jumpstart program, all classes must be taken as a single unit.
A 3.0 GPA is required to earn the Seattle Pacific University Post-Bachelor’s Certificate in TESOL. Under certain guidelines, the credits earned may be applied to the WA State ELL Endorsement (for public school teachers) and/or protected for graduate status for a master’s degree. Please contact email@example.com for advising.
The 4-Week Intensive program includes four pre-determined courses, with one course being covered per week:
- Week 1: ELT 5530 Foundations of English Language Teaching
- Week 2: ELT 5531 Approaches & Methods in ELT
- Week 3: ELT 5532 Grammar in ELT
- Week 4: ELT 5533 Materials Development & Resources in ELT
It is very intense but well worth it because you get immersed in all aspects of teaching ESL. There is a lot of homework and long class hours, but it is carefully planned out and there is constant support from the teacher.
Rebecca Strabo, January 2016
Is Intensive Right for Me?
- in good mental and physical health.
- able to work effectively in group situations.
- able to meet or communicate with classmates after class hours as needed.
- able to attend evening observations as required.
- able to commit to the full schedule, which requires being in class from 9:00 am -3:00 pm Monday-Friday
- able to remain calm under pressure and handle stressful situations in a professional manner.
- able to handle a fast-paced environment.
- good organizational skills (including time management).
- the support of my family and/or friends.
- basic computer skills (word processing, email, and internet) and daily access to a computer and printer for writing and printing assignments. (computers/printers not available at S-TESL)
- daily access to telephone, internet, and email as needed to communicate with the school, instructor and classmates.
I understand that…
- I cannot be working, or taking any other classes, during the time I intend to study in an intensive class.
- there are from three to six hours of required homework each day (including weekends).
- there are many working lunches which require me to come to class prepared for the day and that require me to stay on-site during lunch.
- there is weekend homework, some of which may require group-work.
- there are pre-class assignments due the first day of intensive classes. I understand that I must be able to purchase my textbooks prior to class. In addition, the one and two week intensives may require homework the weekend after class.
A wonderful, intense, challenging and rewarding experience! After spending 30+ years trading and traveling abroad, attending the intensive four-week program at S-TESL provided me with my first exposure to the world of teaching English as a second language. Not only was the intensive program a great way to prepare for a career in the world of ELT, the course also made me aware of the areas I needed to focus on in order to be a well rounded teacher. Thank you Denny, George, Caitlin and of course the entire amazing graduating class of Spring 2016!
Philippe Geraud, March 2016
The intensive course was challenging and extremely rewarding. Completing the course gave me the confidence to move forward with teaching.
Paul Swoish, January 2016
Register for the 4-Week Intensive
To discuss the intensive format in more detail, please contact the school at (206) 781-8607 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. In-person advising and/or class observations are available during the day. Please see the Course Schedules for upcoming start dates.