You’ve completed the TESOL Certificate program! Certificates are not automatically issued, and must be applied for within six years from the completion date of your studies. If you graduated from S-TESL after Spring Quarter 2013 and earned a TESOL certificate, see below for instructions on how to apply. If you graduated before Spring Quarter 2013, see the bottom of this page.

Certificate Application Requirements

  1. Official transcript (Bachelor’s degree or higher) on file with S-TESL.
    (If you have previously submitted a certificate request you will need to include a new BA transcript with your application.)
  2. Official SPU transcript indicating completion of 12 (or 24) credits, minimum 3.0 GPA.
  3. Field Experience, min. six hours (for 12-credit certificate), verified and recorded. Must be completed within one year of your last course.

Complete the application and field experience forms found below and submit with supporting documents to:

The School of Teaching ESL
ATTN: Certificate Application
9620 Stone Ave. N #101
Seattle, WA 9103

Certificate Application Form
If you’re a graduate applying for a 12- or 24-credit SPU certificate, use this form. Be sure to include any applicable fees and mail all components together.
Field Experience Packet
Here you’ll find guidelines, FAQs, and essential forms. The ESL Field Experience Verification Form can be filled out ahead of time and kept with your records. Be sure to fill out this form while still in contact with the host instructor.

All Other Certificates

For replacement certificates or information about any other certificate options, please contact Please include your full name, dates of study, and courses taken. If possible, provide an unofficial transcript. Including this information will help us assist you more quickly and effectively.

For those who studied with us when affiliated with Seattle University¬†(1985-June 2013), the procedure¬†will depend on the time of your study. If you graduated June 2002-June 2013 please direct all inquiries to SU’s College of Education at or (206) 296-5760. If you studied before June 2002 you will not be eligible for an SU issued certificate. Instead you will need to apply for an S-TESL Legacy Certificate, which contains no SU affiliation or language. Please contact S-TESL at to request more information or a form.

S-TESL cannot issue SU certificates. For Seattle University transcript requests, see